If you are using Windows and have a basic knowledge about the cybersecurity out there, you will realize that there might be a chance that your Computer could be infected by malware and other threats, even MacOS and Android platforms are also on the target list either.
In order to protect your Computer from threats, in this article today, we will cover our top 10 dedicated Antivirus software and their effectiveness that will help you make an informed decision without consuming too much Computer’s or mobile device resources and more importantly, they’re all free!
Let’s be clear that It does not mean paid software are not good, they do offer some premium features and dedicated support actually. However, paid Anti Virus Software will be covered in another article later.
1. Avast Free Antivirus:
When talking about a free but powerful Anti Virus Software, then Avast Free Antivirus is definitely on our top of the list, this could be considered as a worthy leader among all solutions. Avast Free Antivirus will maintain the integrity of your computer and save you from different malware and hacking attacks.
- Using Smart Analytics, Avast can detect malware, viruses, ransomware, and phishing, etc. and stop them at the earliest possible time.
- CyberCapture: a cloud-based scanner that could send suspicious files for further analysis in the cloud. If it turns out to be a threat, all the users are protected in future.
- Wi-Fi Inspectorwill able to find flaws in your home Wi-Fi and makes it more secure.
- SmartScan detects various security holes (from small to big) present on your machine.
- GameModeis the feature that will make sure that all notifications will be put on hold while you’re playing games.
- BehaviorShield willkeep an eye on the apps and their behavior to make sure that they don’t harm your machine
2. AVG Free Antivirus:
AVG Technologies and Avast Software are actually the same company, they completed the acquisition in September 2016. So basically this two Antivirus software sharing the same technology from the core, but since AVG Free Antivirus already has its own reputation, that’s why we still seeing both software in the market until now.
With AVG Free Antivirus, you will have:
- Complete VirusScan and protection from different kinds of malware including viruses, spyware, ransomware, etc.
- Webprotection to keep you safe from unsafe downloads and links. Email scanning is included as well.
- Scans your system for performance issues and notifies you of the same.
- Real-time securityupdates are also provided.
3. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition:
In the world of Cybersecurity, Bitdefender is the name that everyone must have known. They are famous for many products from Home to Business use, and Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is also not an exception in this case.
This software is a tough competition to Avast’s product, including many quality features:
- “On-demand virus scanning” that ensures the removal of different kinds of worms, Trojans, viruses, ransomware, rootkits, spyware, etc.
- “Anti-phishing feature” lets you protect yourself and take control of your online accounts in the best manner possible.
- “Behavioral detection,” your apps are actively monitored and instant action is taken.
- “Anti-fraud” feature warns you when you visit the sites that try to scam you.
4. Kaspersky Free Antivirus:
Kaspersky Labs is known as the Russian cybersecurity leaders whose products always in top 10 antivirus software lists of different websites and experts.The free and lightweight antivirus version from Kaspersky Labs is a basic program that doesn’t come with any fancy features but can work perfectly fine!
The free basic version including these features:
- Protection against dangerous malware, viruses, phishing attacks, spyware, etc.
- Webprotection also makes sure that notorious websites aren’t able to fool you.
- Emailprotection as well, so it’s not a bad deal as it uses the same antivirus engine as the paid version: Kaspersky Internet Security.
Also note that if you need advanced features like cross-platform protection, safe online transactions, kid security, password manager, etc. then you could go for the paid version trial (in 30 days) before deciding to purchase it or not.
5. Avira Free Antivirus:
First come to the Antivirus market in 1986, Avira has also been performing well in the test of different independent cybersecurity labs. With the remarkable Red Umbrella icon, Avira is known to turn out to deliver a solid performance with a clean user interface. The new 2018 version of this one of best free antivirus is not also an exception.
Some of the best features of Avira’s free solution are:
- ProtectionCloud is an early warning system that analyzes the unknown files in clouds and protects the community in real-time.
- The Antivirusscanner takes care of most types of malware, including virus, worm, Trojan, ransomware, etc.
- With AviraBrowserSafety extension, you get added features like Browser Tracking Blocker, Safe Browsing, and Price Comparison.
- PUAShield feature will stop the unwanted apps from harming your system.
It need to be mentioned that Avira has a software suite called Internet Total Security Suite, which has Free Antivirus, Avira Phantom VPN, and Avira Safesearch Plus. The VPN bundled with this suite has a data limit.
6. Sophos Home:
Just like Kaspersky Free Edition, Sophos Home does not detect virus bases on their activity. The software has its own antivirus technology that was developed its company instead. Sophos Home edition is highly recommended for anti scam and Malware infections. It also has the power to control the content your family accesses. Moreover, you can also control it from any web browser remotely.
Here are Sophos Home major features:
Advanced computer security to remove malware, ransomware, viruses, apps, and programs to keep your machine clean.
SophosLabs’ real-time threat intelligence, the behavior and activities of programs and files are analyzed continuously.
Bonus features coupled with basic computer security.
Clean interface and easy installation.
7. Comodo Antivirus:
Same as Avast Free and AVG, Comodo Antivirus has many powerful features (for free) in order to protect your machine from virus and malwares. It can detect virus base on activities, provides virtual Desktop and Secure browser (for safe surfing, avoid being track in sensitives situations such as payment via Internet Banking).
Further than that, Comodo Antivirus also provides a virtual Sandbox that could help you to test suspicious software, checking software safety before installing into your real machine. The UI of Comodo Antivirus is also a plus, very good looking and attractive.
8. Panda Cloud Antivirus Free:
Panda Cloud is one of the best lightweight antivirus that you could counting on with its features:
All the work is done in the cloud to make it a lightweight antivirus.
- Real-time updates for maximum free virus protection round-the-clock.
- USB protection feature for vaccinating USB drives against malicious programs. You can set this feature to automatically vaccinate every USB drive you connect to your Windows PC.
- Bonus tools in the form of ProcessMonitor and RescueKit.
Panda also ships a Protection Advanced version that takes care of ransomware, WiFi connections, parental controls, etc. It’s available as a 1-month free trial, so you can give it a spin.
FortiClient is also one of the best Free Antivirus software that you could counting on. It has Web filter features, Firewall, network utilize and Parental Controls. Despite this software was designed to work best with network devices, FortiClient 5.0 also provides solutions to detect phishing and VPN Client integrated.
However, network utilize feature seems only work with FortiGate Devices and not really effective in blocking suspicious URL. Also, VPN Client and Parental Control are both seem having limited functions too.
MalwareBytes is one of the antivirus software that received high rating from end users. One of its best feature is able to detect virus bases on their behavior on Computer. However, there is a limited of this software which is it requires to work together with other antivirus software in your machine as MalwareBytes works like an add-on component instead.
The free version also missing some important features that only the Premium one has. Despite of that, MalwareBytes still one of the best antivirus around the market and still receive positive feedbacks from end user.
Nowadays, Antivirus software is one of the essential needs of all OS, from Windows to Linux and even Mac OS. The reason why we need them is to protect our machine from virus, malware and Trojan as they have become more and more dangerous these days.They could be very harmful to Computer performance and stealing our personal information/ data also, making your device become a vulnerable target for hackers.
We also understand that there are so many antivirus software right now and end-users might have a bit confuse while choosing which one to install for their machine. That’s why, we hope our top 10 best free Antivirus software above could help you somehow to make the right decision.
Leave your comment and let us know which one you prefer the most?